At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
About the team:
Our team is the dedicated data science resource for areas outside of R&D, such as Customer Success, Sales, and Finance. One of our key technical areas is models and analytical tools to understand our business health, which helps our internal teams take action based on those insights to improve business outcomes.
About the role:
As a Data Scientist, you will be a technical co-owner of the data science business health tooling at Klaviyo. One of Klaviyo’s core values is ownership—the ability to bias toward action, think one step ahead of problems you might face, and generally just get things done—and this role is a shining example. The solutions you deliver and research you complete for the business health tools will directly contribute to our go-to-market teams and improve the success of our customers as well as help Klaviyo meet our revenue, churn, and sales goals.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in data science, statistics, and machine learning, with a heavy emphasis on using these tools to solve business problems. We’re looking for someone who can build, train, and deploy models, work directly with both technical and non-technical stakeholders to scope projects and adjust to new information on the fly, and learn about the areas they work in deeply enough to become an expert but quickly enough to deliver timely solutions. As a technical co-owner of the data science business health tooling, you will be expected to be able to speak about your technical solutions to stakeholders within the business, so communication skills are essential. We’re especially interested in candidates who, in addition to their technical background, have experience working directly with business stakeholders in fields such as customer success, finance, and sales, but that experience is not required.
You should have experience building models that are used by people to make better decisions and used by organizations to drive key outcomes. We prefer iterative solutions that are incrementally better to a long-debated “perfect” solution.
This role is based in Boston, MA and requires a weekly hybrid onsite component.
How you’ll have an impact:
- Co-own a strategically crucial and high-impact technical area
- Work directly with stakeholders across the business to understand business problems and scope data science projects that will solve those problems
- Conduct research, build models, and ship solutions that make our forecasting system better, more reliable, and more user-friendly
- Choose the right solution for the problem at hand rather than relying on “one-size-fits-all” approaches
- Mentor team members through statistical and code reviews, helping them learn best practices and level up their own skills
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years professional industry experience as a data scientist with fundamental understanding and deep experience with a variety of statistical and/or machine learning algorithms (e.g. regression models, tree-based methods, large language models, clustering, neural networks) as well as ways to evaluate and validate the performance of those models
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science or other relevant quantitative discipline, or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience working with stakeholders directly during the course of a project and managing stakeholder relationships
- Ability to write clean, intelligible code in Python, including experience with data science tools and packages
- Enjoys the high-risk research aspect of data science and excited to learn from null or negative results and iterate to a better solution
Nice to have:
- Demonstrated a measurable and sizeable impact with your data science work
- Strong experience analyzing data and making rigorous statements about what can or cannot be concluded
The pay range for this role is listed below. Sales roles are also eligible for variable compensation and hourly non-exempt roles are eligible for overtime in accordance with applicable law. This role is eligible for benefits, including: medical, dental and vision coverage, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), flexible paid time off and company-paid holidays and a culture of learning that includes a learning allowance and access to a professional coaching service for all employees.
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our company takes the security and privacy of job applicants very seriously. We will never ask for payment, bank details, or personal financial information as part of the application process. All our legitimate job postings can be found on our official career site. Please be cautious of job offers that come from non-company email addresses (@klaviyo.com), instant messaging platforms, or unsolicited calls.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .