At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Technologies we use (not exhaustive):
React, Gatsby, Styled Components, Typescript, Gatsby Cloud, WP Engine, Headless Wordpress (PHP)
Why You Should Join the Marketing Engineering Team :
- As an Engineering Manager joining the Marketing Engineering team you can expect to be deeply involved in technical discussions on how we scale our systems, roll out new features, and grow the team.
- You will have ownership of the team’s mission, goals, and roadmap while collaborating alongside technical product owners and product managers. Together, you'll define scope and specifications while refining RFCs to ensure deliverables are met and stability is maintained.
- The Marketing Engineering team is the owner of multiple user interfaces outside the core Klaviyo app, including the klaviyo.com website. The team’s mission is to build out scalable modern UI’s on top of various applications. The team will be responsible for full stack development of these assets.
- Using various technologies (listed above), you'll help craft scalable systems enabling delightful customer experiences and enable Klaviyo’s future growth.
For some context on what we’ve done this year and looking forward:
- Rebuilt and launched a new CMS based site, replacing our legacy codebase
- Built and iterated on an atomic component library working closely with the creative team
- Deployed a sub-brand site inside of that new infrastructure
- Set up the foundations to use that component library across other Klaviyo properties
- Doubled headcount
- Planning for internationalization of all site content
- Planning major changes to our routing layer
- Increasing our test coverage and types
How You Will Make a Difference
- Lead engineers to craft and maintain Klaviyo.com. It’s your team’s product and together you’ll own the code base, technical solutions, and structure that helps us scale, test, explore, innovate, and deliver a stellar experience.
- Lead teams to create and maintain the site UI, marketing tools, and content publishing workflows.
- Consider the needs of not only the users on the site but also our users in marketing who engage with the CMS daily - building and optimizing with both in mind.
- Engage across the organization with the various engineering teams to collaborate, explore, communicate challenges, learn, and share knowledge.
- Lead a growing team with between 4-7 direct reports.
- Work on a cross-functional team with members of the Marketing, Product, Design, and Analytics organizations.
- Level up the team and have a central role in the interview process.
- Decompose high level projects into business goals.
- Have the opportunity to get hands on with the code, leveraging your technical expertise to support and mentor your team.
- Guide system design and implementation trade-offs with business partners and your team.
- Identify the critical path forward and map that into a plan for your team.
- Iterate and improve upon processes within your team and across the entire engineering department (i.e. recruiting, performance reviews, project planning, and more)
- Have ample opportunities for growth given the scope of this role and the team’s central role in Klaviyo.
Who You Are
- Motivated to grow the team both through developing members of the team and attracting new talent to continuously expand our capabilities.
- Excited to read the code, understand the product area, contribute when needed, and regularly give technical mentorship.
- You have an in-depth understanding of common web architectures when it comes to highly scalable systems.
- You know what tools to reach for based on the problem at hand: queues, caches, cdns, web workers, etc.
- Managed a team of at least 3 people and comfortable managing remote team members.
- Successfully led and delivered on complex projects spanning multiple quarters and involving at least two teams.
- Comfortable giving performance reviews and mentoring team members at all levels.
- Looking to think through the scale challenges of a website and supporting tooling of a company doubling the number of customers every year.
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company's hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com .
If you are a Colorado or New York City resident and this role is a remote role, you can receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Requests can be submitted here . Additional information regarding benefits can be found here .
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.