At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Klaviyo operates a real-time data platform built for massive scale on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Engineers come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines.
We love tackling tough engineering problems and look for Engineers who specialize in certain areas but are passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way. We push each other to move out of our comfort zone, learn new technologies and work hard to ensure each day is better than the last. Klaviyo is growing fast and we have openings for all skill levels across all of our teams. Learn more about our engineering culture at https://klaviyo.tech .
The Data Exchange area is responsible for collecting, distributing, and orchestrating data movement into and out of Klaviyo and between Klaviyo domains through a variety of protocols and delivery mechanisms. In addition, we provide other engineering teams and 3rd-party developers with infrastructure and tools to easily build data syncing workflows. On a daily basis, we handle billions of interconnected data points with a wide range of freshness, consistency, and interoperability requirements.
What You’ll Do
- Define technical strategy within the scope of Data Exchange and execute to improve the area's architecture, products, infrastructure, and processes. Contribute to defining strategic direction, planning the roadmap, escalating issues, and synthesizing feedback to ensure team success.
- Lead the technical evolution of the area, overseeing multiple teams and ensuring alignment with your pillar objectives, company goals, and long-term strategy. Ensure technical designs are properly evaluated across multiple teams, provide and respond to thoughtful feedback across the organization to improve technical designs.
- Act as domain leader and the interface between a group of teams and the rest of the organization. Build relationships with stakeholders including customers, product managers, cross-functional partners, and external partners. Communicate the strategic direction and the rationale behind it to the entire organization.
- Strategize and execute independently and through others. Set direction for multiple teams in partnership with their managers. Manage and mitigate risks to plans.
- Mentor other engineers regularly, primarily experienced lead and senior engineers. Ensure others in the area are developing skills they need to improve within the organization.
Who You Are
- 12 years of experience in software development, strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals, domain-driven design, and extensive expertise in architectural patterns, specifically within the domain of distributed systems.
- Proven expertise in applying relevant design patterns to implementing highly-scalable multi-tenant systems.
- 8 years of experience testing, developing, and launching complex software products, and 5 years of hands-on experience in software design and system architecture, with a focus on reliability, fault-tolerance, and high performance.
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to the product and platform vision, as well as defining the strategy within the broader scope of long-term organizational needs.
- Exceptional communication skills, 4 years of experience disseminating a technical vision through multiple scrum teams and across the organization
- Solid foundation in data processing systems, experience with big data stack, and expertise in building stream/batch processing applications
- Familiarity with multi-dimensional data modeling, data change management, data warehousing, data governance concepts, and serverless data architectures.
- Experience mentoring seasoned engineers, focusing on leads and seniors with 7-12 years of experience.
Our Tech Stack
- Python, Django, FastAPI
- Apache Kafka, Apache Pulsar, RabbitMQ, Spark, Airflow, and other tech from the big data stack
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Clickhouse, Redis
- Typescript, React, Babel, Jest, Webpack
- Graphite, statsd, Grafana
- AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Pantsbuild, Jenkins, Argo, and other modern DevOps tools
The pay range for this role is listed below. Sales roles are also eligible for variable compensation and hourly non-exempt roles are eligible for overtime in accordance with applicable law. This role is eligible for benefits, including: medical, dental and vision coverage, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), flexible paid time off and company-paid holidays and a culture of learning that includes a learning allowance and access to a professional coaching service for all employees.
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our company takes the security and privacy of job applicants very seriously. We will never ask for payment, bank details, or personal financial information as part of the application process. All our legitimate job postings can be found on our official career site. Please be cautious of job offers that come from non-company email addresses (@klaviyo.com), instant messaging platforms, or unsolicited calls.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .