At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Why You Should Join the Orchestration Team:
As a Lead Engineer joining the Orchestration team you can expect to be deeply involved in technical discussions on how we scale our systems, roll out new features, and grow the team.
This is a new role within the organization, resulting from growth.
The Orchestrate team is responsible for 2 key areas of the product – Flows and Campaigns. Our clients communicate with their customers by designing personalized flows using email and SMS to send marketing information to their customers. These teams are full stack teams and usability of the UI, scalability of the backend are key to their success.
There are ample opportunities for growth given the scope of this role and the group’s central role in Klaviyo’s product.
As a Lead Engineer, you will have input into the team’s mission, goals, and roadmap while collaborating along-side technical product owners, product managers, designers and data scientists. Together, you'll define scope and specifications while refining RFCs to ensure deliverables are met and stability is maintained. You will help drive the narrative for the technical evolution of the overall orchestrate space as we invest in both our current and future experiences..
For some context on what we’ve done last year and looking forward:
In 2022, the Orchestrate teams have added many features to better support SMS, including two-way conversations and have revamped the backend to remove dependency on Cassandra.
In 2023 this team will be leading the Omnichannel initiative, where customers can create Flows and Campaigns creating messaging, using all of the channels supported by Klaviyo. There will be further refactoring work to make it easy to add future channels to the portfolio.
How You Will Make a Difference
- Drive dramatic growth in Klaviyo’s core product areas: Flows and Campaigns.
- Wholly own features that tens thousands of our customers rely on daily to reach 4B+ of consumers to drive their business forward
- Be responsible for the technical/architectural evolution of our product area; identify and advocate for scalability, reliability, and maintainability needs
- Contribute to your team, department, and Klaviyo strategy by developing options and plans that align with company worldwide growth
- Be responsible for technical quality metrics, production support for these areas of the product.
- Guide system design and implementation trade-offs with business partners and your team.
- Drive complex projects with a team of great people which meaningfully contribute to our customers’ experience and Klaviyo’s success.
Who You Are
- Experience working on a SaaS product in a full stack capacity.
- For the back end, strong knowledge of Python or Java, Kubernetes, Relational Databases and Queuing systems, caches is a plus.
- Experience with writing Design Specs and leading design review meetings.
- Excited to read the code, understand the product area and give technical guidance.
- Motivated by having ownership and leading others, excited about taking the initiative to solve tasks in collaboration with others..
- Experienced with improving and developing: API’S, various data models for the product space you have led, and utilization of tools to drive infrastructure changes and make your product space be successful
- Comfortable working across different parts of a large codebase.
- Highly collaborative and communicative.
- You have an in-depth understanding of common web architectures when it comes to highly scalable systems.
- Successfully led and delivered on complex projects spanning multiple quarters and involving at least four teams.
Get to Know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses. Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company's hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to popular big-tech ad platforms. Over 265,000 innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, Living Proof and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com .
If you are a California, Colorado, Rhode Island, Washington, New York City, or Jersey City resident and this role is a remote role, you can receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Requests can be submitted here . Additional information regarding benefits can be found at klaviyorewards.com .
Klaviyo is committed to diversity and to a policy of equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.