At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Klaviyo operates a real-time data platform built for massive scale on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Engineers come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines. The EmbeddedAI team is a newly formed team focused on the integration of Natural Language Interfaces in our experience, think ChatGPT but for our marketing platform.
A back end engineer on the EmbeddedAI team will work on building robust systems to support our Natural Language use cases, including building the necessary systems to efficiently store and search text, integrate with third party services exposing LLMs and embeddings, host and fine-tune proprietary and open-source LLM models and build the necessary abstractions to allow other Klaviyo teams to integrate with our services efficiently.
We love tackling tough engineering problems and look for Engineers who specialize in certain areas but are passionate about building, owning & scaling features end to end from scratch and breaking through any obstacle or technical challenge in their way. We push each other to move out of our comfort zone, learn new technologies and work hard to ensure each day is better than the last.
Technologies we use (not exhaustive):
- Clickhouse/MySQL/Cassandra databases
If you have a high bias for action, want to work using state of the art technologies like LLMs and enjoy working on highly motivated multidisciplinary teams, come join us.
How you will make a difference:
- You will be responsible for mentoring engineers and building new systems from design to release.
- You will directly contribute to both writing the code for new components and effectively delegating implementation work as needed.
- The code you write will help empower tens of thousands of Klaviyo customers daily to gain more value from the platform.
- You will change the way Klaviyo customers interact with our platform
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience in software development, and strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals
- Broad experience testing, developing, and launching software products
- Demonstrable experience with software design and architecture
- Hands-on experience designing reliable, fault-tolerant, and high performance systems
- Strong familiarity of communication protocols and their applications to build APIs
- Highly collaborative and communicative
Nice to have:
- Professional experience using:
- Apache Kafka/Parquet/Hive
- AWS services (S3/EKS/EMR)
- Demonstrable experience working with ML solutions and interacting with Data Scientists
- Demonstrable experience building chatbots or chat interfaces
- Interest in Machine Learning and genuinely curious about Generative AI
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Upon request, you can receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role. Requests can be submitted here . Additional information regarding benefits can be found at klaviyorewards.com .
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .