At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
About the team:
As part of the Klaviyo Data Science team, you work alongside dozens of other Data Scientists to help solve high-impact problems facing our customers and business partners. We’re looking for someone to help support the team responsible for developing customer-facing, chat-based features in the Klaviyo app. This is a relatively new team working with Natural Language Processing (NLP) and other techniques to improve the user experience. You’ll be coming in as one of our primary data scientists on the team and will have the chance to radically impact how customers use some of the core features of the Klaviyo app on a daily basis.
About the role:
We’re looking for a motivated Data Scientist to join our team and help build chat-based models for customers into the Klaviyo app. We’re looking for someone who can build, train, and deploy models, work directly with technical and non-technical stakeholders to scope projects, and adjust to learnings on the fly. The ideal candidate has a strong background in data science, statistics, and machine learning, and is motivated to learn about the areas they work in deeply enough to gain expertise, but is also efficient and solution-oriented.
The right candidate will have a solid fundamental grasp on a number of data science modeling and problem-solving techniques, and should be comfortable working in a fast-paced research and development setting. We’re focused on shipping early and often. We prefer iterative solutions that are incrementally better to a long-debated “perfect” solution.
You will work alongside a multifaceted team of product managers, designers, engineers, and other data scientists to focus on integrating natural language based tools into the Klaviyo experience. Think ChatGPT but for our marketing platform. The work you do will have a direct and measurable impact on Klaviyo customers and how they interface with our platform.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll also have a strong role in mentoring other members of the team. You’ll review their math and statistics work as well as their code to ensure high quality, and you’ll share your knowledge with the team to help others learn.
How you’ll have an impact:
- You will work alongside product managers and design researchers to understand customer pain points and scope potential data science solutions to these problems
- The machine learning models you build will fundamentally change the way that Klaviyo customers interact with our platform
- You will have an opportunity to own projects from end to end, from scoping to maintenance post-delivery
- Your work will require you to read up on recent advancements in LLMs and NLP which will help Klaviyo build up expertise in this space
- You will execute on technical work, with an emphasis on the ability to work iteratively and adapt to what the data tells us and/or changes in business/customer needs
- You will choose the right solution for the problem at hand rather than relying on “one-size-fits-all” approaches
- You will collaborate with other data science team members and participate in cross-team statistical and code reviews
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years professional data science experience
- Strong fundamental understanding and deep experience with a variety of statistical and/or machine learning algorithms (e.g. regression models, tree-based methods, clustering, neural networks) as well as ways to evaluate and validate the performance of those models
- Proficiency in writing high-quality code in Python for production deployment, conducting code reviews, and deploying to a production environment
- Ability to collaborate radically and communicate clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A motivated problem solver with the ability to work independently in a research-driven capacity - first by thinking critically about problems and brainstorming potential solutions and then by implementing and testing these ideas on actual data
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science or other relevant quantitative discipline
Nice to have:
- Proven track record of collaborating with business stakeholders to successfully address customer and business challenges through data-driven approaches
- Advanced knowledge of SQL including complex query formulation and optimization
- Strong foundation in formal research methodologies, with the ability to design, implement, and analyze experiments to promote data-driven decision-making
The pay range for this role is listed below. Sales roles are also eligible for variable compensation and hourly non-exempt roles are eligible for overtime in accordance with applicable law. This role is eligible for benefits, including: medical, dental and vision coverage, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), flexible paid time off and company-paid holidays and a culture of learning that includes a learning allowance and access to a professional coaching service for all employees.
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our company takes the security and privacy of job applicants very seriously. We will never ask for payment, bank details, or personal financial information as part of the application process. All our legitimate job postings can be found on our official career site. Please be cautious of job offers that come from non-company email addresses (@klaviyo.com), instant messaging platforms, or unsolicited calls.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .