At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Klaviyo is growing fast and we have openings for all skill levels across all of our teams. Learn more about our engineering culture at https://klaviyo.tech
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is what you get when you treat system operations as a software engineering problem. The mission of the Site Reliability Engineering team is to provide services, tooling, and guidance to Klaviyo's product engineers to make them more productive and ensure their services are sufficiently reliable, scalable, and secure.
The SRE team builds foundational backend services as well as tooling and automation to allow product teams to release and scale their software reliably and predictably. SREs are team players who work collaboratively amongst themselves and with engineers from product teams to build the platform Klaviyo relies on to power its products.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer you will own multiple foundational Klaviyo services and make a big impact on the productivity of our product engineering teams.
How you will make a difference:
- Ship foundational services to enable Klaviyo engineering to move faster with confidence
- Design and develop systems and processes that enable highly available & scalable systems
- Design, build and deliver software to dramatically improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Klaviyo’s services
- Achieve break-throughs in systems throughput by identifying and eliminating bottlenecks
- Leverage technology such as Python, Go, Bash, Django, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, MySQL, Apache Pulsar, Redis, and Clickhouse to advance Klaviyo’s platform
- Champion best practices by actively collaborating with other teams in a culture that values technical design review
- Contribute to the company as a subject matter expert in multiple areas, constantly pushing yourself to be a better engineer and to level up all of your peers within your team and within Klaviyo.
- Mentor and pair with other Klaviyo engineers to build better software by focusing on performance, self-healing system, configuration as code; defensive programming, application security, etc.
- Participate in periodic on call duties with a focus on solving issues when they are discovered, preventing recurrences and minimizing alert fatigue
- Work hand-in-hand with product-facing engineers to ship impactful code
- Perform quantitative analysis to understand and scale Klaviyo systems and manage the cross-functional effort to resolve scalability issues
- Produce and advocate for preventative, upstream solutions with internal stakeholders and external vendors and dependencies
- Confidently make informed, data-driven decisions in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
- Evangelize Site Reliability best practices across the engineering organization and community
Who You Are:
- BA or BS Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of responsibility operating & scaling complex distributed systems
- Experience developing applications in Python, Ruby, Go, etc.
- Experience working on an engineering team building software
- Fundamental understanding of Linux (we run Ubuntu) and all layers of the networking stack; you should be confident administering and debugging production Linux systems
- Ability to handle yourself and complex systems in outage situations and to drive failures to root cause analysis and prevention of future issues
The pay range for this role is listed below. Sales roles are also eligible for variable compensation and hourly non-exempt roles are eligible for overtime in accordance with applicable law. This role is eligible for benefits, including: medical, dental and vision coverage, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), flexible paid time off and company-paid holidays and a culture of learning that includes a learning allowance and access to a professional coaching service for all employees.
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our company takes the security and privacy of job applicants very seriously. We will never ask for payment, bank details, or personal financial information as part of the application process. All our legitimate job postings can be found on our official career site. Please be cautious of job offers that come from non-company email addresses (@klaviyo.com), instant messaging platforms, or unsolicited calls.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .