At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
Check out this quick video with Sean Lutner, the hiring manager for this role! (less than 3 minute watch time)
Engineers come to Klaviyo with experience in a variety of languages and from a number of disciplines. All engineers are expected to become extremely proficient in the technologies we use (not exhaustive):
- Python, Django, Celery
- MySQL, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, Redis, Pulsar
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, Aurora, etc.), Kubernetes on EKS
The SRE team builds foundational backend services as well as tooling and automation to allow product teams to release and scale their software reliably and predictably. SREs are team players who embed themselves within product teams as needed to advance the architecture and performance of software systems and train their peers in topics such as debugging distributed systems, building self-healing applications and eking out every drop of performance possible.
Internally, we call this role Senior Site Reliability Engineer on the Security SRE team. As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer you will own multiple foundational Klaviyo services and make a big impact on the productivity of our product engineering teams.
Mission and Vision of the Security SRE Team
The SRE Security team (a.k.a "SecEng") will make it easy for engineers to make secure choices and maintain development speed when developing software because tools and services exist for all relevant domains such that platform security happens in the background without product engineers or services noticing.
Establish a foundation for secure software architecture and development by cleaning up security tech debt, increasing visibility into platform security, enhancing configuration and secrets management, and making sure designs allow for security to be baked in.
What You'll be Working With
- Secrets Management - Build a new centralized engineering wide secrets management service. Coupled with IAM roles to make access automatic and self service for all teams in the engineering organization. Tooling for smooth user experience interacting with the service.
- Vulnerability Management - Automated pipelines to pull in vulnerability data and identify any Klaviyo AMIs and container images that need to be updated. Update the AMIs or container images and then perform an automated rollout across our fleets of ephemeral and stateful clusters. Collaborate with velocity team on in CI/CD pipeline artifact scanning.
- IAM - Implementation of an ABAC (attribute based access controls) model for human and machine IAM roles following the principle of least privilege.
- SSM - Replace SSH based access and script/task automation with SSM. Reduce public facing attack surface and increase auditability of access and task execution.
How You'll Make a Difference
- Ship foundational services to enable Klaviyo engineering to move faster with confidence
- Design and develop systems and processes that enable highly available & scalable systems
- Design, build and deliver software to dramatically improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Klaviyo’s services
- Achieve break-throughs in systems throughput by identifying and eliminating bottlenecks
- Leverage technology such as Python, AWS, Django, Kubernetes, Bash, Terraform, MySQL, RabbitMQ, Redis, Cassandra, Postgresql to advance Klaviyo’s platform
- Champion best practices by actively collaborating with other teams in a culture that values whiteboarding and technical design review
- Contribute to the company as a subject matter expert in multiple areas, constantly pushing yourself to be a better engineer and to level up all of your peers within your team and within Klaviyo.
- Mentor and pair with other Klaviyo engineers to build better software by focusing on performance, self-healing system, configuration as code; defensive programming, application security, etc.
- Participate in periodic on call duties with a focus on solving issues when they are discovered, preventing recurrences and minimizing alert fatigue
- Prototype and advocate for architectural improvements to achieve breakthrough results in Klaviyo systems’ operational scalability and reliability
- Work hand-in-hand with product-facing engineers to ship impactful code
- Perform quantitative investigation to understand and scale Klaviyo systems and manage the cross-functional effort to resolve scalability issues
- Produce and advocate for preventative, upstream solutions with internal stakeholders and external vendors and dependencies
- Confidently make informed, data-driven choices in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
Who You Are
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems and computer networking
- Experience writing code in a programming language such as Python, Ruby, Go, etc.
- Experience administering cloud-based infrastructure (e.g. AWS)
- Ability to troubleshoot production issues related to computer infrastructure, configuration, monitoring, deployments, and continuous integration and delivery
- Ability and willingness to learn
- Ability to communicate clearly and mentor and coach others on a team
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
The pay range for this role is listed below. Sales roles are also eligible for variable compensation and hourly non-exempt roles are eligible for overtime in accordance with applicable law. This role is eligible for benefits, including: medical, dental and vision coverage, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), flexible paid time off and company-paid holidays and a culture of learning that includes a learning allowance and access to a professional coaching service for all employees.
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Our company takes the security and privacy of job applicants very seriously. We will never ask for payment, bank details, or personal financial information as part of the application process. All our legitimate job postings can be found on our official career site. Please be cautious of job offers that come from non-company email addresses (@klaviyo.com), instant messaging platforms, or unsolicited calls.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .