At Klaviyo, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and perspectives each Klaviyo (we call ourselves Klaviyos) brings to our workplace each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match with the description, we hope you’ll still consider applying. Want to learn more about life at Klaviyo? Visit careers.klaviyo.com to see how we empower creators to own their own destiny.
About our internship
Our Data Science Internship is designed to provide each intern meaningful and robust projects that directly impact our product and customers. The internship program is small, allowing interns at Klaviyo the opportunity to form a tight-knit group who get to bond with each other over the course of the summer.
Interns dive into substantial projects, making a tangible impact during the course of the summer. Projects have concrete goals and objectives but allow plenty of room for exploration and problem solving. Past successful projects include: SMS benchmarks, brand voice tuning in generative AI, and flow delay modeling. We offer a supportive environment where interns can test, fail, iterate and launch while building a solid technical foundation, awesome connections across the Klaviyo and having fun.
Data Science Interns come to Klaviyo with quantitative backgrounds, experience programming ideally in Python, or other relevant mathematical languages like R, Matlab or Julia, and an interest in doing everything from exploratory analysis to training and deploying models. At Klaviyo we use a wide variety of data mining, machine learning algorithms and generative AI techniques. We’re focused on shipping early and often. We prefer iterative solutions that are incrementally better to the perfect solution.
How you’ll make an impact
- Take on a project that will make a meaningful, real impact for Klaviyo users or internal company stakeholders
- Build data science-powered features that our customers love and help them grow faster. Examples of features we’ve added to Klaviyo: A/B testing, personalized product recommendations, and creative assistance.
- Use data science to help Klaviyo grow faster. This includes building smart algorithms to automate processes that are currently manual, performing analyses to help our internal teams know how to best target their resources, and building predictive models to better understand our customers and business.
- Analyze large data sets (we’re collecting billions of individual actions every month)
What We’re Looking For
- Possess a strong fundamental understanding of at least some machine learning algorithms (e.g. regressions, decision trees, k-means clustering, neural networks).
- Capable of analyzing data and making rigorous statements about what can or cannot be concluded.
- Know how to design and implement model performance/validation assessments.
- Have an understanding of statistics and understand different distributions and the conditions under which they’re valid.
- Know how to code and have used data science tools and packages.
- Have a desire to ship features powered by data science (in other words, you’re excited by both upfront research and actually getting models into production at cloud scale); OR
- Have a desire to work directly with business stakeholders to create tools that will provide insight and make them more efficient.
- Pursuing a degree in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science or other relevant quantitative discipline.
- Our Summer Internship Program is a 10-week [June 3 - August 9] paid experience at our Boston, MA headquarters
- Before diving into individual teams and projects, all interns will complete Klaviyo Base Camp - a week-plus onboarding experience. Base Camp provides focused time to learn about Klaviyo, our product, the ins and outs of engineering and spend time getting to know other interns. This robust training experience ensures all interns join their teams fully prepared to dive into project work and make an immediate impact.
- Our Boston office is fun - our interns stay fueled with free snacks and drinks, take breaks with each other over a game of ping pong, nintendo or round of golf with our simulator, and relax in our speakeasy (yes you read that right!).
- Throughout the summer, Klaviyo interns attend social events to promote interaction beyond team and project work. In past years these events have included a Red Sox game, Boston Duck Tour, outings to SPIN and Flight Club in the Boston Seaport, ice cream socials, and Munch n Learns with Klaviyo senior leadership.
- Priority application deadline: October 10
Get to Know Klaviyo
We’re Klaviyo (pronounced clay-vee-oh). We empower creators to own their destiny by making first-party data accessible and actionable like never before. We see limitless potential for the technology we’re developing to nurture personalized experiences in ecommerce and beyond. To reach our goals, we need our own crew of remarkable creators—ambitious and collaborative teammates who stay focused on our north star: delighting our customers. If you’re ready to do the best work of your career, where you’ll be welcomed as your whole self from day one and supported with generous benefits, we hope you’ll join us.
Upon request, you can receive additional information about the compensation and benefits for this role. Requests can be submitted here . Additional information regarding benefits can be found at klaviyorewards.com .
Klaviyo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, color, religion or religious creed, age, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran or active military status, marital status, criminal record, genetics, retaliation, sexual harassment or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
You can find our Job Applicant Privacy Notice here .